Posted by Marketing Team, on
Pet Safety During Party Season: How To Build A Den
How to Build a Den
During firework season you can help your dog by preparing 'safe haven' or a 'dog den'. If your dog already has a hiding place, then this space can be used making it as snug and secure for your dog as possible by adding blankets or bedding. If you are making a new 'dog den' from scratch, try to do this a few weeks in advance so that your dog knows it is a safe place when fireworks start.
- Build your den 4 weeks before fireworks season.
- Select your area: away from external windows and doors and in a quiet area of the room where you and your dog spend most of your time.
- Use a dog crate. These are a great way to make a fun place for your dog to chill out.
- Select a nice comfy bed that your dog has used regularly and place it in the crate.
- We now need to soundproof the crate and for this you can be inventive! You could use blankets to cover the crate with, use cardboard sheets to line the outside of the crate and then place a thick duvet on top.
- Make the den a positive place for your dog. Have plenty of toys and treats in there. You can also hang toys from the inside of the crate and hide treats. Fabric foraging toys are also handy to hang on the inside of the den and then hide treats in the pockets provided.
- Apply a pheromone spray to the bedding when you first make your den. This will help reassure your dog that it is a ‘safe place’.
- Plug in a pheromone diffuser close to the den as well. This is proven to support your dog during fireworks but also encourages them to see their den as a 'safe place'.
- Why not leave your den up all the time? It can be a constant safe place for your dog to retreat to during any stressful period. During hot weather, remove the duvet and use a thin sheet instead.
Fireworks can be difficult for many pets to cope with but there is a lot that can be done to support them through this troubling period. For further information please contact our team on firstname.lastname@example.org and our friendly and experienced team will be happy to assist you.